Monday, June 3, 2013

Tacoma Truck Bed Project (Part 3)

The Tacoma truck bed project is complete...for now.

My original plan of utilizing the Cargo Glide platform didn't work as I'd hoped.

The height of the Cargo Glide platform was too high and left little if any space beneath the sleeping platform.

It was also too heavy at about 150 pounds...

So, on to Plan B and a simpler, lighter, and less expensive approach to this project.



With the sleeping platform now complete, I needed to find a simple way to store my hanggliding and camping gear beneath.

I tried every form of plastic container, and was about to build slider drawers out of plywood, when I thought of trying a couple heavy-duty plastic concrete mixing bins.



The bins are 3-feet long and two of them fit the 6-foot bed of my Tacoma perfectly to prevent movement forward and back.

One bin holds my camp cooking gear and the other hanggliding gear & tools.



I removed the rubber bed mat and fastened my ABS pipe downtube container to the truck bed with heavy-duty zip ties.

The downtube container holds the two storage bins along the left side of the bed to prevent them from slipping around.

I keep camping chairs on the right side and have my water in a 31 quart plastic bin.



Everything fits nicely...



The platform fits two comfortably, so maybe Wendy will go on more camping / flying trips with me!

After a few trial runs to get the bugs out, I'll probably install indoor / outdoor carpet to finish everything off.

Bang!