Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Santa Cruz Flats: Day Two


Day two was a lesson in tenacity...

The dusties were rolling through the launch area early on, but pilots were not staying up with many, including myself, having to relaunch (relight) once, twice, and in some cases three times. My first tow up was in very smooth conditions. When I released, there was no lift whatsoever to be found...I might as well have been practicing aerobatics the air was that smooth...so, I landed, reset my instruments and went for a second try at it. Ben Dunn, Wayne Michelson, and Alex Cuddy were in the same boat.

The air felt more active on the second tow and I released near a small gaggle of pilots working a thermal to the south of the launch area...this was our silver platter out and on course.

Alex and I continued to work the lift out on course to the first waypoint...in between launch and the first waypoint, there was a few good thermals that got us higher toward our first turnpoint. This is why I came to Santa Cruz Flats! There is nothing better than flying with someone you know, communicating on the radio, and navigating along course. Alex was a big help this flight.

I found a nice smooth thermal right above the first waypoint and worked that for about 15 minutes or so, maybe less. Alex was still flying with me...looking up, I noticed Wayne was there, also. We pulled on the VG and headed on east toward waypoint number two. The glide on my T2, given the drag of my harness did well, and I was able to keep up with Alex's total race setup for the most part lagging behind slightly. Along course we hunted for more lift. I found a dusty off to my left, but ignored it, opting for anticipated lift over a cattle farm instead...sure enough, just east and downwind of the farm, a nice smooth thermal brought me up to about 7K or so and I continued on. Alex was a little lower than me (a first!) and apparently found a boomer that got him high enough to pretty much go on glide to the second waypoint. I should have stayed around and worked the lift I had longer as I was a bit low to compensate for the venturi that existed crossing I10 to Houser. I could feel the glider sinking out...think crossing Ram's Horn Canyon at King low, but far less dangerous...any pilot who has done that will know what I'm talking about.

I ended up landing short of Houser (2nd waypoint), but had a sweet landing in a freshly plowed field with bowling ball sized clumps of dirt...glad I wear boots...a no step landing had to happen and it did.

Overall, this was one of my best flights...I was extremely happy with my decision making, sans leaving too low over toward Houser. Other than that I cannot complain. Mr. Foster flew extremely well on Day 2 and made the 2nd waypoint (Houser)...He and his dad, Bill, picked me up with a nice cold beer and water.

Today (Day 3) the winds are pretty strong already, and right now, it is not flyable...we'll see what is called.


Final resting spot...

Day Two Results: Click here...

Flight time: 1 hour, 33 minutes

Update: A westward task has been called with a later start time today...3:00 pm...stay tuned.