Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Different Kind of Push to Talk

Lately, I've been unhappy with my MotoComm push to talk. They've cheapened their product considerably, and I find there are too many connection points ripe for failure at some point and time.

Some people can get years out of a MotoComm system...others can't get a new system out of the box to work correctly.

I decided to give a custom made PTT by Thermal Tracker a try...

Thermal Tracker PTT systems are made by "Kevin" in Ashland, Oregon.

Kevin guarantees his work...if you are not satisfied with how it works, send it back.

I fly with a 4Fight helmet by Icaro and the installation of Kevin's PTT system went very well.

The complete twin speaker system with one point of connection (not including the adaptor) at the radio itself...$145.00.

The speakers, microphone, and all internal connections, are sealed with heat-shrink tubing to protect against moisture intrusion...Kevin provides an extra piece of heat-shrink tubing for the adaptor fitting, also.

All I have to do is pull the cord out for use and plug into the radio...

The cord stores neatly into the rear "void" of my helmet when not in use and the PTT is located on the side of the helmet...no more forgetting to run my PTT down my sleeve prior to getting all my gear on. I don't mind having to reach up to my helmet to transmit...I'm not a big talker while in the air.

The finished product, complete with ACP helmet sticker...nice!