Sunday, September 20, 2009

Santa Cruz Flats: Practice Day

Saturday, after things got rolling, we all got in one or a few practice tows. The lift was bubbly, broken, and had some drift to it with a definite NW component at about 3800 feet. I had a good time working what I could in a couple gaggles and got the "first tow" jitters behind me...time to just concentrate on flying and staying cool. After yesterday's flight we cooled off in the pool, then finished up the meet paperwork and downloaded our waypoints, etc. Today, Monday, and Tuesday, the temps are suppose to be in the 100 range, then "cooling off" to 97 or thereabouts by Wednesday.

We had a spectacular dust storm roll through here within about 1 hour of the last pilot landing. I had my glider secured by then, so no worries, but had never witnessed a dust storm...they're incredible and ominous at the same time...I felt compelled to just stand and look at the wall of dust roll toward us...I would say the winds generated were in the mid-twenties max, but am glad we were not driving on the roads...

Today is the first official day of the comp with a pilot's meeting at 9:30 this morning...more later.

Pracice day flight time: 50 minutes