Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Santa Cruz Flats: Day Four

Day four winds were gusting up near 30 mph, so the task was cancelled. Many of the pilots opted to go to Phoenix for some indoor go-carting, I believe. Wendy and I headed south to Tucson, stopped at a triathlon store, then had launch at a really good Mexican restaurant, Cafe Poca Cosa, in downtown Tuscon.

On the way back we stopped at the Casa Grande Humane Society to check out their pet cemetery...there is a subtle irony that goes with having a pet cemetery behind a local Humane Society and I'll just leave it at that...






Apparently an entire family of pets rest here...


Jello...at one time brought joy to the hearts of many...now lies here...

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday the winds are supposed to subside and be from the northeast, so it'll be interesting to see what tasks are called. I'm having a great time here and learning a lot about flatland thermal flying. This meet, combined with my usual inland mountain and coastal flying, will be some added tools in the toolbox of flying skills. Now that I know how to use the competition route function of my vario, I should be better able to find my way along course rather than my usual seat-of-the-pants approach.

Another aspect of this meet that I'm enjoying is the towing. I used to not like aerotowing but am more comfortable each time I get towed up now. I'm still apprehensive as there is alot that can go wrong in a short period of time, especially the first few seconds after we release from the cart. All you have to do is fly the glider, though...pretty simple.

Time for a beer...more later.