Sunday, March 31, 2019

Funston Shear (3-30-19)



It has been awhile since I've been in a nice shear at Funston - yesterday a few of us got up into it.

Every shear is different, and this one had its own personality, texture, and feel - and had us all on the deck within an hour, but the time in the air made every step of my hike back on the beach worth it.

The wind was really cross, but everyone had decent launches - those that were patient and worked the north end of Funston were able to get up, and a few of us headed to Westlake and onward to Pacifica.

I could feel the shear change some by the time we were above the north end of Pacifica.  Dave and Chris appeared to be heading south toward Half Moon Bay because it seemed like it could be that day.  I gave chase, but noticed they were heading back north.

I decided to head back to Funston, also, and noticed diminished lift and very little ground speed - NNE winds at the Dumps were of concern, but there was plenty of beach.  I decided to simply go on glide and fly as far north as I could toward Funston and landed between the stables and the north end of Westlake - a good hike on the beach.

When I landed, I thought Chris and Dave may have headed further south, but it appears we were all on the ground within 5 to 10 minutes of each other - just one of those shears that gets you up really high, then puts you on the ground just as quick.

Fun day in the air, though!

Airtime:  38 minutes
Altitude:  1417' MSL