Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Eve Flight at Funston

Funston ended up delivering some nice flying conditions Christmas Eve.

Joey, Simpson, Marginal and I were the only pilots in the air - wish I'd brought my camera as the conditions were superb.

It was one of those super buoyant air days, which was good, since there was very little beach to land - some beach, but not a lot.

I launched around 11 AM and flew around for 2 hours.

After a while, I headed down to Westlake and had a nice elevator ride up to 1364' in super smooth air - a nice treat given last time I'd flown Funston I was handed a 1.37 mile hike back from the beach - ah, redemption.

Conditions started to pick up toward the end of my flight and I could see a line of rain rolling in from Stinson - I landed and broke down the glider quickly as the squall was reaching us sooner than we thought.

Just as the winds really picked up and the rains were coming down, I had my glider tied down to the truck - then sat in the cab and watched the rain and wind for about 20 minutes hitting us hard.

What a great Christmas present - thanks Santa!